The course provided by Coláiste Laichtín caters for students of all levels from beginners to advanced. Coláiste Laichtín uniquely provides the perfect total immersion environment for a safe, positive and memorable experience. Students are allocated to classes according to age and ability. The students learn by conversing in class, the family they lodge with, local people and of course through the medium of sport, céilithe, music and song. Class activities include debating, aural exercises, comprehension and grammar exercises, class games and competitions. All activities will be beneficial to the Junior and Leaving Certificate students. They progress and learn the language in an idyllic atmosphere, removed from traffic and grind of normal day life on the mainland. This experience transforms the attitude of students to Irish as they progress with their education. It is very important to bring musical instruments and dancing shoes as the students will get an opportunity to practice and perform. This enhances the wonderful atmosphere that prevails. All the students get a booklet where they complete a diary every day, it provides relevant material for Junior and Leaving Certificate.
To derive maximum benefit from the course, each student will participate in an Oral Assessment at the beginning of each course to assess their competency in Oral Irish. There will be an additional Oral Assessment before the end of each course. A report will be forwarded to parents regarding progress in Oral Irish, Social and Personal Development, Participation, Diary/Copy and Recommendations at the end of each course.
Preparatory notes for the Oral Assessment are available on the college website.
Policy regarding the speaking of Irish
The emphasis is on a positive attitude.
There is a presence of teachers and ardchinnirí at all activities to encourage the speaking of Irish.
The first time a student is brought to the attention of the principal for speaking English, there will be dialogue to resolve matters and advice given.
The second time a student is brought to the attention of the principal for speaking English, there will be dialogue to resolve matters and advice given. Parents/guardians will have a discussion with the principal and with their son/daughter to ensure positivity going forward.
The third time a student is brought to the attention of the principal for speaking English, there will be dialogue to resolve matters and advice given. Parents/guardians will have a discussion with the principal and with their son/daughter to ensure positivity going forward. The parents/guardians will be informed that their son/daughter will be sent home if their son/daughter is brought to the attention of the principal once more re the speaking of English.
The fourth time a student is brought to the attention of the principal for speaking English, the principal will contact the parents/guardians to organise travel arrangements to bring their son/daughter home.
This is a rare occurrence.
Cancellation Policy/COVID 19
- The balance of the course fee is payable 6 weeks prior to the course start date. Coláiste Laichtín reserves the right to treat a booking as cancelled due to non-payment of the balance by the due date and, in that event, the deposit as already paid shall be forfeited in full and no refund of deposit shall be paid.
- In the event of a cancellation by or on behalf of a student, in writing, up to 6 weeks prior to the course start date, a full refund shall be issued, minus an administration fee of €50. (This fee refers to processing of bookings, preparation of course, works carried out in course venue and delivery of course).
- Places are reserved on a first come first served basis and in the case where we have to reduce the numbers on a course last in and first out will apply. This procedure shall apply in the event that a directive or guide is issued whereby the number of students currently allowed to attend a course must be reduced due to Covid -19 restrictions.
- In the unlikely event of a family home becoming unavailable to the Coláiste at short notice, parents are advised that confirmed reservations may have to be cancelled on a last in first out basis. We do wish to assure you we have never yet had to cancel confirmed offers.
- Course cancellations due to Covid 19, or any other extraordinary events outside of the control of Coláiste Laichtín, and/or on the advice of a third party, or advisory body will result in a refund of fees paid, minus an administration fee of €50.
- Coláiste Laichtín is dedicated to following public health guidelines. We are awaiting instructions from The HSE and The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and will follow all guidelines set down by them.
- You will appreciate that Coláiste Laichtín is committed to ensuring the safety of all its students and staff and any further measures implemented will be in accordance with public health guidelines at that time